Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sewing for Less - Repurposing #3

Here's a jumper for my daughter that I just completed this afternoon. I used Simplicity 5226, view B, which on the pattern is shown as a slip dress, designed to be worn underneath the view A dress. However, this pattern works fine as a stand-alone dress, and has the added benefit of a keyhole back, so it just slips over the head and doesn't require buttonholes.

Where did I get my fabric, you might ask? How long did it take me to do that fancy embroidery? Because this is a re-purposing post, you know I had to start with something else, right?


How about this woman's corduroy jumper? Thank you, Goodwill! Women's dresses and jumpers are a terrific value, because of the volume of fabric they give you to work with. This jumper was a size large and had a full, gathered skirt...


and the added bonus of embroidered bands for inspiration.


I wanted to use the bodice embroidery on the bodice of my dress, but it was too far down and close to the skirt seam, so I cut the embroidered band off, then cut out my bodice pieces, then re-positioned the embroidered band where I wanted it, turning under about 3/8" on the top and bottom, and inserting some Wrights Medium Rick Rack in Aqua Blue.


Then, I decided to use the same treatment on the skirt, but because the placement of embroidered band on the dress worked fine just where it was, I opted to make a pleat above and below the embroidery and insert the rick rack there. Topstitching close to the folded edge holds the trim in place, and bodice and skirt now have a uniform look.


I also ended up sewing 3 growth pleats (barely visible in photo) in the skirt to bring it up to a better length for my daughter. The idea of growth pleats is to build in extra length so that when a growth spurt happens, one or more of the pleats can be removed to add length and prolong the life of the garment. Realistically, I won't do this, though, because corduroy is notorious for showing creases, but I still like the way it looks.



Here's a side-by-side showing the before (left) and after (right). I'm not exactly sure what I paid for the jumper, but probably not more than $3, and I also purchased 1 package of rick rack (I had one on hand from a previous project already). Including thread, this project cost me less than $5. Our local Goodwill marks down clothing every week to 29 cents, so I could've made this dress for much less.

It saddens me to hear people say that sewing is just too expensive these days. And I can see why they think that. We are so accustomed to buying cheap, imported goods from big-box stores, that spending a little more for off-the bolt fabric seems prohibitive. But, there are other alternatives! I have been frequenting thrift stores for a few years now and I can testify that if you can look beyond what the item IS to what it CAN BE...you will find an unlimited amount of resources at your disposal...sometimes for pennies.

2 comments:

The Wandering Italian said...

oooo I have been so waiting for a post! I surely thought you would do a post about that beautiful quilt you were making!! So glad to see you updated! Hope all is well.
Belinda

Anonymous said...

How easy you make it look! It's great to read another post from you and the dress is indeed beautiful. Thanks for the encouragement.

Logcabinlady who can't remember her password but doesn't wish to be anonymous